SAFe® for Government
Operational and Assessable Objectives:
Transitioning to Lean-Agile practices for building technology-based capabilities is especially challenging in the government context.
But issues of legacy governance, contracting, and organizational barriers can be overcome with the right information and strategies. During this two-day course, attendees will learn the principles and practices of the Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®), how to execute and release value through Agile Release Trains, and what it means to lead a Lean-Agile transformation of a program inside a government agency.
Attendees gain an understanding of the Lean-Agile mindset and why it’s an essential foundation for transformation. They’ll also get practical advice on building high-performing, multi vendor Agile teams and programs, managing technology investments in Lean flow, acquiring solutions with Agile contracting, launching the program, and planning and delivering value using SAFe. Attendees also learn how specific leadership behaviors can drive successful organizational change in government.
This course is designed for government leaders and influencers who can guide the decision to adopt SAFe within their agency or program. Examples include:
- Executives, directors, branch chiefs
- Managers of development, engineering, QA, architecture, operations, support
- Program and project managers
- Program/Project Management Office (PMO)
- Advancing Lean-Agile in government
- Embracing a Lean-Agile mindset
- Understanding SAFe Principles
- Creating high-performing Agile teams and programs
- Planning with cadence and synchronization
- Delivering value in Program Increments
- Mapping the path to agency and program agility
- Leading successful change
At the end of this training, you will be able to:
- Transition government programs from traditional software and systems development models to Lean-Agile and DevOps mindsets, principles, and practices using SAFe
- Adapt technology strategy, budgeting and forecasting, acquisition, compliance, and governance processes to flow-based practices using emerging government guidelines
- Organize government programs into one or more Agile Release Trains (ARTs) and execute in Program Increments (PIs)
- Explore Large Solution coordination in a government and multi-vendor environment
- Identify and internalize the mindset and leader behaviors essential to successful Lean-Agile transformation
- Follow success patterns for SAFe implementations adapted to the government context
- Build a preliminary outline of next steps to begin and/or accelerate the SAFe implementation in your program or agency
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, meeting the following prerequisites will make the training more productive.
- A foundational understanding of the Agile Manifesto, SAFe House of Lean, and SAFe Principles is required using pre-work suggestions
- A foundational understanding of the full lifecycle of government technology programs is helpful
- Registered attendees will receive a list of readings and videos specific to Agile in government that will be beneficial to review before the course
What the training includes:
- Attendee workbook
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Course certificate of completion
- One Certification exam attempt (retakes at an additional fee)
How and when to access:
- Training provided in French or English
- Face-to-face or distance learning
- Workbook and course material in English
- Materials for practical exercises
- Evaluation of the training via interactive questionnaires during the training to verify the acquisition of knowledge
- Platforms and tools used: Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Mural, Miro, Drive
Passing the Certification :
At the end of the training, the candidates will receive a link to the SAFe Community platform and will be able to take the exam. The first test is included in the training within 30 days. Each new test will cost $50, payable directly on the SAFe Community platform.
- Format of the exam: Multiple choice questions (MCQ)
- Method: Web-based, closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Duration: 1,5 hour (90 minutes)
- Number of questions: 45
- Passing score: 33/45 (73%)
- Language: Exam in English
Upon completion of the exam, you will receive your results immediately.
Upon successful completion of the exam, the candidate receives his or her certification which is valid for 1 year. It must be renewed annually and costs $100/year.